Retreat to North Devon
Lynmouth Holiday Retreat, Lynton, EX35 6LD
Hiding high amongst the rolling hills of Exmoor and nuzzling the dramatic North Devon coastline, Lynmouth Holiday retreat settles into the extraordinary backdrop overlooking Lynmouth bay and the gentle buzz of its harbourside town.
Whether you’re visiting for the first time or looking to own your own holiday home on site to visit whenever you desire, it’s the perfect place to get away and reset amongst the expansive countryside of Exmoor.
The Retreat has its own dog walking meadow with enchanting views across the dramatic valleys and bays of North Devon, offering snippets of Victorian trinkets in the way of old cast iron street lamps and red post-box lending libraries, Lynmouth Holiday Retreat, like the surrounding area celebrates its enchanting history and varied landscapes at the very heart of this Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
The Park Reception hosts a small onsite shop stocking local produce and camping essentials, including toiletries, gas canisters and camping equipment, a variety of locally sources eggs, sausages, bread, soft drinks, spirits, cider, snacks, ice creams, (yes even doggy ice-cream), preserves, tea and coffee all from local businesses across Exmoor & North Devon.
We also bake fresh pastries, croissants, fresh bread, baguettes and toasted sandwiches to order at reception.
The Retreat offers modern shower & toilet block facilities, these provide free hot showers, touch vanity mirrors and smart energy-saving hairdryers. There is a family bathroom and a shower room upon request, we also have a designated disabled bathroom.
The washing up area is indoors, within this area there is an eco dishwasher free for guest use and a freezer for your ice blocks. We also have a launderette, an Electric Vehicle Charging Point and we have recently installed a defibrillator outside reception.
There are various dog walking sections on park, a communal lawn with picnic tables for guest use, you can also walk to Waters meet straight from park and down to Lynton & Lynmouth but you may wish to hire a taxi, as the return journey is steep.
Neighbouring the park – the ‘Beggars Roost Inn’ offers a fab family-friendly dining experience with welcoming hosts and delicious food (just remember to book in advance to avoid disappointment).
Ask at reception for a guide to all the local walking routes you can do from the retreat, as well as recommendations for places to visit locally.
Wi-Fi included during your stay.
For Camping and Touring
Check-in is from 2pm on your day of arrival. If you intend on checking in after 5pm, please contact our team in advance who can give you all information required to make it easy for your arrival. Check out is 10.30am. Please note, due to the high elevation of our park we can only accommodate awnings which are correctly secured, regretfully gazebos are not permitted.
For Holiday Caravans and Glamping:
Check-in is from 4pm on your day of arrival and check out on day of departure is 10am. If you intend on checking in after 5pm, please contact our team in advance who can give you all information required to make it easy for your arrival. If your static caravan has a hot tub, please enjoy it from the hours of 8am and 10pm. This is to minimise noise to the other guests on the park.
Early Check in and Late Check outs
If you would like to arrange an early check in or a later check out, please speak to your Park Host to see if this is possible to arrange, please note if it is feasible there may be a charge.
Lynmouth is a charming village located at the bottom of the cliff with a harbour and beaches, cafes, restaurants, fish and chip shops, pubs and gifts shops to peruse. Located up above is the character-full village of Lynton, in addition to offering cafes, restaurants, pubs, fish and chip shop, galleries and gift shops it also has the Lyn Health Centre which includes a minor injury unit.
The two villages are connected by the Lynton Cliff Railway which is the best way to travel between them without a car. If you are feeling energetic, you can walk on the footpath that connects the villages.
Explore the wild and unspoilt Exmoor landscape, vast moorland, steep sea cliffscape and secluded river valleys, we’ve listed a few of our personal favourite locations below;
- Discover Britain’s tallest sea cliffs with golden sands at Combe Martin for a traditional seaside experience.
- Explore Porlock, a village offering an authentic view into Exmoor life, with quaint village streets and period cottages, leading down to Porlock bay consisting of 2 miles of wildlife rich coastline.
- Climb up to Dunkery Beacon, Exmoor’s highest point.
- Visit Ilfracombe, a large coastal town with dramatic cliffs, spectacular seafront and an olde world charm. There are the famous Tunnel beaches, you can Kayak in the harbour or take advantage of the many boat trips, these all combine to make this a popular tourist destination.
- Ride the Lynton & Lynmouth Cliff Railway, the highest, steepest water-powered Victorian railway in the World
- Hop over to Dunster Castle, nestled in one of the largest and most complete medieval villages in England, the impressive castle itself is said to date back a thousand years. This is a favourite of ours, you won’t be disappointed!
- Follow the Goat paths across the Valley of Rocks, home to wild goat herds and wondrous rock formations. The Valley of Rocks boasts some of the most stunning, spectacular scenery you will ever see. Be sure to take your camera.
- Woolacombe beach boasts miles of uninterrupted sands with enough space for all. It is widely recognised as one of the best beaches in the UK. During the season from April to September Woolacombe has a lifeguard service.
- Croyde Bay is a sandy beach backed by sand dunes and situated in a bay. Very popular with surfers and body boarders, this beach has a lifeguard service from April to September. The village of Croyde offers a delicious variety of places to eat and on a Thursday has a spectacular locally run craft market.
- For the children there are many day trips to be had, Exmoor Zoo, The Big Sheep, The Milky Way and Combe Martin Wildlife and Dinosaur Park to name but a few.
- Broomhill sculpture garden unifies art and nature, set in an ancient forest it showcases more than 150 pieces of impressive art throughout. There is a restaurant offering locally sourced and seasonal produce.
- Clovelly is well worth a visit, a timeless village with cobbled streets, meandering down to the tiny harbour. This village is too steep for motor vehicles- wear comfortable shoes.
- Take a walk to Watersmeet from Lynmouth, along the East Lyn River, it is a walker’s delight, home to a variety of wildlife and stunning all year round.
- Lynton has a cinema as well as an Art and Craft centre showcasing lots of local art, there is also a second-hand book shop within the Town Hall. Lynton has something for everyone
Getting to the retreat – For all larger campervans, motorhomes and touring caravans, we advise you approach us from the West via Barbrook on the A39. Access is available from the East on the A39 via Hillsford Bridge, but there are steep hairpin bends.
Baked goodies – From reception we bake fresh pastries including butter, almond and chocolate croissants and pan au chocolate, as well as small and medium loafs, baguettes and toasted sandwiches to order at reception, for loaves please pre-order the day before.
What we ask – As our park is situated in Exmoor National Park open fires of any kind are strictly forbidden, bbs are fine. Due to risk of wild fires, we also ask guests not to set up gazebos, being so high up we can experience high winds and flying gazebos can be very dangerous.
Due to being part of The Dark Sky Reserve we have extremely low lighting around the park and ask guests to turn off any outside lights at 10pm, we advise you bring torches for night time. To ensure everyone has a pleasant stay, we also kindly ask that all park guests keep noise to a minimum after 10pm.
Take the family for a trip out in North Devon, catch our latest blog on top free things to do in the area, or check out our Warden’s favourites below..
- Lynmouth Hole-in-1 putting green
- Steam train rides at Woody Bay station
- Explore Exmoor on horseback with Brendon Manor riding stables
- Join a Jeep safari and take in the natural landscape including the wild ponies, red deer, elusive otters and rare butterflies.
- Spend the day out on the water and hire kayaks or paddle boards from OSKC Watersports & Kayak Hire.
- Take the little ones to Combe Martin’s Wildlife & Dinosaur Park.
- Have a family beach day at one of North Devon’s Golden beaches.
- Spend a little time on the wild side at Exmoor Zoo.
- Visit Funder Island in Woolacombe, this has an 18-hole Crazy Golf course and children’s rides.
- Ilfracombe aquarium at the harbour in Ilfracombe offers local fish exhibits, feeding demonstrations, a gift shop and a café.
- Let’s Go in Barnstaple has a laser quest, amusement arcade and 10 lanes of Ten-Pin bowling, great fun for all.
- Watermouth Castle has maze-like dungeons, underground fountain shows and fair rides, all separated in different fantasy lands.
Lynmouth holiday retreat was named ‘Dog friendly Camping & Caravanning park of the year’ for 2022 and we love welcoming dogs of all sizes to our retreat.
We have several dog friendly accommodations from glamping pods and bell tents to holiday caravans, there is a limit of 2 dogs per letting accommodation. If you are camping or touring the limit does not apply.
There are various dog walking sections on park, a communal lawn with picnic tables for guest use, dog wash station, designated dog bins, there are several dog walks you can do straight from park, across to Watersmeet or down to Lynton & Lynmouth, be sure to wear appropriate footwear as the way down can be steep with uneven ground in places, you may wish to hire a taxi for the way back up to park unless you are quite fit.
Address – Lynmouth Holiday Retreat, Manor Farm, Barbrook, Lynton, EX35 6LD
What three words: typically-dumpy-galloping
*For all larger campervans, motorhomes and touring caravans, we advise you approach us from the West via Barbrook on the A39. Access is available from the East on the A39 via Hillsford Bridge, but there are steep hairpin bends.
Taxis – Riverside Taxis and Lyn Valley Taxis take dogs as well as humans.
They are small local businesses and are very reliable, so please call ahead to book. They take card payments as well as cash.
Riverside Taxis: 01598 753442 Lyn Valley Taxis: 07907 161666
Bookings & Enquiries – Reception
For emergencies after 6pm call – 07513725347
Contact Chris on 07429 848 451 Chris@coastandcountryparks.co.uk
Considering holiday home ownership?
Looking for the perfect luxury base in North Devon to share with friends and family and explore the beauty of this dramatic area? Buying a holiday home with Coast and Country is the perfect alternative to buying abroad, and owning something you can regularly use. Lynmouth Holiday Retreat is your perfect base in this area of outstanding natural beauty – whether you are looking for peace and solitude or a base to explore all that North Devon has to offer.
Discover our full range of holiday homes for sale here..
Where are we?
Lynmouth Holiday Retreat, Lynton, EX35 6LD
The park is perfectly situated on the A38, with the best of both Devon and Cornwall right on the doorstep. In just 17 minutes you can find yourself on the sandy shores or Downderry and Seaton, discovering the impressive grounds of Anthony Estate, or exploring the numerous coves and golden stretches of Looe, Cawsand and Whitsand Bay just a short drive away.
“ Time spent amongst trees is never wasted time”
— Katrina Mayer
Discover your next Nature Retreat
Sleep up to 4 Person
Sleep up to 2 Person
Pet Friendly Pet Friendly
Sleep up to 2 Person
Sleep up to 4 Person
Hot Tub Hot Tub
“ Working towards environmentally conscious stays..”
— Coast and Country Parks working in partnership for change
We love our landscape here in Exmoor and want to do our bit to protect our surroundings, that’s why we’ve partnered up with CareMoor to help fund and protect our National park.
Save water and time with our free Easybe Dishwasher, the results are clean sparkling dishes in less than 5 minutes, saving on water and energy giving you more time to spend doing more of the fun stuff..
Tree App UK
The Retreat is partnered up with Tree App and have so far planted over 500 trees and counting, in a bid to help protect our planet’s ecosystems and our natural environment.
What our guests have to say..
Brilliant little campsite, great facilities and great location..
Excellent facilities on site , very clean and well laid out , friendly staff and free Wi-Fi.
We have stayed there twice in the last year and we have been impressed each time. Excellent sea views just a lovely place to spend an evening under the stars .
When we checked in, the most genuine lady in the office said we had the best plot: corner plot and best view across Lynmouth bay. Well it was! no 26, a lodge. Could see right across the Bristol Channel to Swansea. Beautiful at night as well with the twinkling lights of Lynton and Swansea.
The park is operated by Coast & Country Holiday Retreats and it certainly is coast & country: the decking of the lodge edges a field with sheep and rabbits; we are from Devon anyway but this retreat really does showcase Devon, we loved EVERY minute of our holiday.
Beautiful site, great staff, immaculate facilities, exceptional!
We’re here to answer any questions you may have, contact us directly or fill out our enquiry form and we’ll endeavour to get back to you as soon as we possibly can.
Lynmouth Holiday Retreat
Manor Farm, Lynton
Mon to Fri: 9am – 5pm
Saturday: 9am – 5pm
Sunday: 10am – 5pm